About PilatesWith the systematic practice of specific exercises combined with focused breathing patterns, Pilates has proven itself invaluable not only as a fitness tool, but also as an important complement to professional sports training, physical rehabilitation and pre- and post-natal training. imotion Fitness & Consultingtrainers practice the STOTT PILATES® method which is the contemporary, anatomically based approach to Joseph H. Pilates' original exercise regime.
"STOTT PILATES® is a contemporary approach to the original exercise method pioneered by the late Joseph Pilates. Co-founders Moira and Lindsay G. Merrithew, along with a team of physical therapists, sports medicine and fitness professionals, have spent more than two decades refining the STOTT PILATES® method of exercise and equipment. This resulted in the inclusion of modern principles of exercise science and spinal rehabilitation, making it one of the safest and effective methods available. This clear and detailed approach forms the basis for STOTT PILATES® training and certification programs. It's used by rehab and prenatal clients, athletes, celebrities and everyone in between."
STOTT PILATES® incorporates modern exercise principles including contemporary thinking about spinal rehabilitation and performance enhancement. The mat and reformer-based exercises are designed to restore the natural curves of the spine and rebalance the muscles around the joints. With an emphasis on breath, core and abdominal conditioning and body awareness, STOTT PILATES® exercise is a safe and highly effective way to stretch, strengthen and streamline your body without building bulk or stressing your joints.
Performed on a mat or specialized equipment, STOTT PILATES® is a fitness regime for a lifetime. The perfect complement to cardiovascular exercise, sport, rehab and life, STOTT PILATES® exercises will leave you toned, feeling revitalized and moving with ease. The benefits of STOTT PILATES® include:
- longer, leaner muscles (less bulk, more freedom of movement)
- improved postural problems
- increased core strength, stability and peripheral mobility
- injury prevention
- enhanced functional fitness, ease of movement
- balanced strength & flexibility
- heightened body awareness and improved self-esteem
- no-impact, easy on the joints
- can be customized to suit everyone from rehab patients to elite athletes
- complements other methods of exercise
- improved sports performance (golf, skiing, skating, etc...)
- improved balance, coordination & circulation